Re: Fam, still a problem in new nautilus

Am Do, den 25.03.2004 schrieb Luis M um 19:31:
> On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 11:58, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 04:20:13 +0100, Luis M wrote:
> >
> > > The solution is simple:
> > [...]
> > > 3. wait X number of seconds after you close Nautilus window on whatever
> > > dvd/cdrom you mounted or logout and log back in... and finally,
> >
> > How is that a solution?!
>
> FAM has to timeout or Nautilus will timeout and release FAM. Whichever
> happens first so that the CD can be ejected. It works perfectly fine for
> me. Or kills Nautilus completely (logout) ("pkill nautilus" perhaps?).
> The point is not to use the terminal because at that point you could
> simply just restart the fam daemon (if you have root in that box).

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  It may well be that your "trick" works, and I
didn't mean to offend you or any GNOME hacker.  It's just that I don't
consider killing off the file manager, restarting root's daemons or
waiting acceptable when I simply want to eject a CD.  When I don't have
/cdrom or any other removable media open in Nautilus (i.e. changed the
directory to, say, ~), ejecting has to work.  No matter from which app,
via /usr/bin/eject, GKrellM or whatever.  Locking unused removable media
is not acceptable behaviour from a user-friendly desktop.

> Just for completeness, this is how I modified my FAM daemon:
>
> 1. remove the line from /etc/inetd.conf so that the init script starts
> fam and not inetd. (dpkg-reconfigure? bah!)

FAM never was in there.

> 2. this is my /etc/fam.conf:
> insecure_compatibility = false
> untrusted_user = nobody
> local_only = true
> xtab_verification = true
> idle_timeout = 15 # although when the script starts, it has "-T 0"
> anyway. cat /etc/init.d/fam | grep -i "\-T" .. FAMOPTS=" -T 0 -l". Which
> should really come from /etc/defaults/fam ...

Same config, still locks USB sticks and CD-ROMs at least every second
try.  I also don't see how these settings should affect locking.

> nfs_polling_interval = 10 # which doesn't matter because "-l" disables
> polling NFS volumes :-)

I don't use NFS here.

> In my case, I do get Nautilus lock on some DVD/CDROM once in a blue moon
> (generating previews or whatever Nautilus loves to do). So, I generally
> set Nautilus to NOT generate previews EVER or thumbnails not even for
> text files. And to only show Size as icon caption (and not to count
> number of files in directories). After that, you get a perfect desktop,
> fast and reliable :-) but with a semi-cripple Nautilus of course. But,
> for as long as I don't have to open a terminal and type the dreaded "
> /etc/init.d/fam stop && /etc/init.d/fam start" (or restart for those who
> care), I have no problem with crippling Nautilus in this manner. It
> works.

Hmm.  I think I found out what keeps FAM watching my CD-ROMs.  When I'm
done with the CD, I regularly change to its parent directory and expect
that I can eject it.  But Nautilus keeps a FAM handle to the medium open
as long as it's displaying the directory which contains the mountpoint.
Changing to a completely unrelated directory or one further up, Nautilus
frees this handle and I can eject the CD.

In short:  As long as the mountpoint is visible in Nautilus, I can't
eject it.  Does Nautilus try to keep the size column up-to-date (the one
saying that the CD-ROM contains "29 objects")?

(If it does, that doesn't work either.  Making new subdirs in a watched
folder doesn't change its "object count" until I click refresh.)

Well, at least I now know how to work around FAM.  Thanks a lot so far.

--
Best Regards,  | This signature is currently under construction.
 Sebastian     | Please check back later!