Re: Fam, still a problem in new nautilus

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 03:44, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> Yesterday, I was hurt (again) by the fam bug (cannot unmount cdroms).
>
> I think I know approximatively the reasons etc.
> I think I never saw an answer to this problem beyond 'remove fam' (yes,
> I can, but when my other users drop a file on their desktop, they expect
> it to show up, not only by opening a window to ~/Desktop and hit
> refresh).

The solution is simple:
1. make sure fam is started by the init.d script and not by inet
2. make sure you edit the fam config file and tell it not to poll
remote filesystems (nfs, smb, whatever)
3. wait X number of seconds after you close Nautilus window on whatever
dvd/cdrom you mounted or logout and log back in... and finally,
4. /etc/init.d/fam restart  ; when you want to get rid of the CD and you
can't wait.

--
Luis M

lemsx1@latinomixed.com
The linuX Files -- The Source is Out There. -- Sent in by Craig S. Bell,
goat@aracnet.com

http://www.latinomixed.com/