Fam, still a problem in new nautilus

Yesterday, I was hurt (again) by the fam bug (cannot unmount cdroms).

I think I know approximatively the reasons etc.
I think I never saw an answer to this problem beyond 'remove fam' (yes,
I can, but when my other users drop a file on their desktop, they expect
it to show up, not only by opening a window to ~/Desktop and hit
refresh).

I would like to know if gnome 2.6 has a solution for this, or if there
is something else (maybe a patch that would disable fam for certain
directories (mountpoints), or proper solution so remove the fam
monitoring before trying to unmount a volume).

Debian unstable, three days ago.

--
JCD