Re: metacity-setup .debs

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 02:48, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> No, if it's generated by configure, and necessary to build, it should be
> removed by a make distclean. Just like make clean shouldn't remove
> Makefiles.

Hmmm.  The Makefiles generated by configure are kind of a special case,
because you need them to run Makefile targets like 'distclean' :)

I guess it's debatable whether the intltool stuff should be removed by
upstream's 'clean' target or by their 'distclean' target.  Regardless,
it does appear that it should definitely be removed by the debian/rules
clean target.

> $ tar tzf acme-1.99.5.tar.gz | grep "config"
> acme-1.99.5/acconfig.h
> acme-1.99.5/config.h.in
> acme-1.99.5/configure
> acme-1.99.5/configure.in
>
> I don't have any here...
> And the automake manual says (that's an
> autoconf macro provided by automake, if you wonder):
> AC_CANONICAL_HOST

But you're not calling AC_CANONICAL_HOST in acme's configure.in.

> So I think config.guess and config.sub are only used if configure needs
> to check the type of the system. It's not needed for metacity-setup, so
> there's no need to copy it.

I think you should generally use it...

> The copy in the template rules file is because a lot of upstreams were
> using ancient version of them and builds were failing on hppa, and some
> of these weird archs debian supports.

True.  But config.{sub,guess} exist for a reason; I'm pretty sure some
systems do need them.

As for the build failures: it's upstream's responsibility to track the
latest version of these files.