Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 10:29:59AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
>you seem to have missed the second announcement send out... the new
>plan is not to freeze this december but rather to come up with a plan
>when to freeze (squeeze).

Please include a URL, to ensure we are talking about same things.

The newest announcement[1] do not promise "not to freeze this december",
but just to "revisit the decision" and "consulting all key teams within
Debian" regarding "a new timeline" - without clarifying if that means
new compared to the earlier releases or new compared to the earlier
announcement[2].

Please also note that the earlier announcement was targeted the general
public, whereas the newer one was targeted developers only.  So for the
outside world their earlier announcement still stand.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/07/msg00001.html

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2009/msg00010.html

>On Montag, 3. August 2009, Steffen Joeris wrote:
>> > Debian itself do not support upgrades skipping a major release, so I
>> > cannot imagine how Debian-edu can (sanely) do so.
>
>With the old and now to be discussed plan, the idea was to actually support
>skipping a release.

Please provide a reference, I am quite interested in understanding this
issue.

Without knowing the details, I find it odd how that can be possible -
within each Debian package is bound a logic of only preserving versioned
build-dependencies until oldstable, which means I believe affects
reliability of upgrades done from packages older than last stable
release.

>> The question here is not so much the upgrade path, because debian-edu
>> doesn't support upgrades, we advice people to reinstall.
>
>Wrong. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/Upgrades has
>instructions how to upgrade.

Thanks for the pointer.

Steffen: Would be nice if you included some pointer to support your
claim too.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --