Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:12:30 am Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:52:01PM +0300, Oded Naveh wrote:
> >- Could we skip Lenny? Why?
> >- Can we not skip Lenny? How?
>
> Those seem equal questions to me.
>
> Debian itself do not support upgrades skipping a major release, so I
> cannot imagine how Debian-edu can (sanely) do so.
>
> So as I see it, the answer (to both questions) is "no".
The question here is not so much the upgrade path, because debian-edu doesn't
support upgrades, we advice people to reinstall.

However, support (especially security support) is an issue and with that in
mind, etch is supported until February (one year after the release of lenny),
by which time we'd need to have a lenny solution.

Cheers
Steffen