Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:29:59 pm Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you seem to have missed the second announcement send out... the new plan is
> not to freeze this december but rather to come up with a plan when to
> freeze (squeeze).
No, I am aware of that.

> On Montag, 3. August 2009, Steffen Joeris wrote:
> > > Debian itself do not support upgrades skipping a major release, so I
> > > cannot imagine how Debian-edu can (sanely) do so.
>
> With the old and now to be discussed plan, the idea was to actually support
> skipping a release.
Whatever the release team intends, I am fairly sure that etch security support
will cease to exist in February (one year after the lenny release).

For skipping a release, I don't recall any discussion on how to realise it
with regards to security support.

> > The question here is not so much the upgrade path, because debian-edu
> > doesn't support upgrades, we advice people to reinstall.
>
> Wrong. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/Upgrades has
> instructions how to upgrade.
There have been efforts to tell people how to upgrade, but I am fairly certain
that the official position has always been that we advice people to reinstall.
That is not to say that we try to give them upgrade instructions on a best-
effort base.

> > However, support (especially security support) is an issue and with that
> > in mind, etch is supported until February (one year after the release of
> > lenny), by which time we'd need to have a lenny solution.
>
> Does that mean we have to release our Lenny now within six months? ;-)
> C00l.
Yes.

Cheers
Steffen