Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 07/14/2013 06:45 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>
>> These aren't the only viable option and you know it. FYI, OpenRC port to
>> Debian is doing well, and it is already able to boot a Debian system
>> with current init script unmodified. Remaining to do:
>> - support for update-rc.d
>> - support for invoke-rc.d
>> - finish the init.d script compatibility (not much remaining to do)
>> - make it work with an unmodified /etc/inittab
>> - add support for X-Start-Before (that might be the hardest part)
>

> OpenRC has already been discussed for Debian for over a year, it's still not
> fully ported and working, yet you claim the port is doing well.
>
> Are you seriously expecting anyone to use such a patch work on a productive
> machine?

At least I am seriously expecting that Debian isn't discarding the outcome
of a project it has officially endorsed to be under its umbrella for GSoC
without even the slightest bit of consideration.

GSoC in Debian was announced a long time ago, enough time to raise
any objections against any proposed project. Either this wasn't done or
it wasn't done loud enough as the OpenRC project was accepted and is now
being worked on by a student, so its too late to voice any concerns now
as this is just slapping the student right across the face. Its at least
nothing I would do while trying to hook a student to continue working
in/on Debian even long after a specific project is done (and GSoC ended).

Feel free to evaluate (any project) after it is finished and draw your
conclusions from that (for the specific project, GSoC in general, …),
but don't complaining about it without even trying.

Last I heard, that was exactly systemd fanbase complain: that everyone
just complained without even trying it based on hearsay.
So, lets try "leading by example", shall we?

>> These issues are fixable, and I have a good hope that it will happen
>> before the end of the GSoC project. And there's also upstart as a quite
>> realistic option too.
>

> The difference is, however, systemd is already there […]

It is not "already there".
That was the whole freaking point of this "survey".

There is still enough time for anythings fanbase to bash each other.
Just avoid beating new contributors in the process who might not have
developed a thick enough skin just yet.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies, who couldn't care less about init systems^W^W"System and
Service Managers" so try to avoid putting him in some fanbase camp please.