Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Jul 14, David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies@gmail.com> wrote:

> At least I am seriously expecting that Debian isn't discarding the outcome
> of a project it has officially endorsed to be under its umbrella for GSoC
> without even the slightest bit of consideration.
I am seriously expecting that Debian will not waste time with what is
clearly an inferior solution just because somebody approved a GSoC
project for it.

> GSoC in Debian was announced a long time ago, enough time to raise
> any objections against any proposed project. Either this wasn't done or
> it wasn't done loud enough as the OpenRC project was accepted and is now
It was done by me and others in the related BTS bug (#684396), and I
believe that I was loud enough.

> being worked on by a student, so its too late to voice any concerns now
> as this is just slapping the student right across the face. Its at least
I am quite sure that the quality of Debian and its continued viability
as a modern OS is way more important than anybody's feelings.

> Feel free to evaluate (any project) after it is finished and draw your
> conclusions from that (for the specific project, GSoC in general, …),
> but don't complaining about it without even trying.
There is no reason to wait, since the GSoC project cannot solve the
fundamental issues about GSoC.

> Last I heard, that was exactly systemd fanbase complain: that everyone
> just complained without even trying it based on hearsay.
I am not a systemd fan, I am a modern init fan. We have at least two of
these around: systemd and upstart. OpenRC does not qualify.

--
ciao,
Marco