Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> schrieb:
> On 07/13/2013 11:46 PM, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
>> since some people might not read planet debian, here is a link to my
>> third blog post in a series of posts dealing with the results of the
>> Debian systemd survey:
>>
>> http://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/2013/07/13/systemd-not-portable.html
>
> This has risen a question here: How many people are actually using the
> kFreeBSD port. Are there any rough numbers?

If the kfreebsd port wants to have a chance to succeed it should be trimmed down
to sensible use cases, e.g.
- file server, where people want to run ZFS
- firewall system, where people want to run pf

For these narrowed down set there would even be a chance to have tested/working
sysv init scripts.

kfreebsd and freebsd are simply lacking too many features (starting with
graphics drivers el al) to ever be a viable base for a desktop system.

Cheers,
        Moritz