Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Sun, 2013-07-14 at 13:09 +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > On 07/14/2013 06:45 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >>
> >> These aren't the only viable option and you know it. FYI, OpenRC port to
> >> Debian is doing well, and it is already able to boot a Debian system
> >> with current init script unmodified. Remaining to do:
> >> - support for update-rc.d
> >> - support for invoke-rc.d
> >> - finish the init.d script compatibility (not much remaining to do)
> >> - make it work with an unmodified /etc/inittab
> >> - add support for X-Start-Before (that might be the hardest part)
> >

> > OpenRC has already been discussed for Debian for over a year, it's still not
> > fully ported and working, yet you claim the port is doing well.
> >
> > Are you seriously expecting anyone to use such a patch work on a productive
> > machine?
>
> At least I am seriously expecting that Debian isn't discarding the outcome
> of a project it has officially endorsed to be under its umbrella for GSoC
> without even the slightest bit of consideration.
[...]

GSoC Debian projects are not 'officially endorsed by Debian'.  So far as
I understand it, they are supported by at least one DD (proposer and
mentor, may be the same person) and accepted by the GSoC coordinator;
that's all.  And they can be quite experimental, which is OK so long as
the project in general recognises that.

Neither do John or Marco speak for Debian, so nothing has been discarded
yet.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Humans are not rational beings; they are rationalising beings.