Re: Mass bug filling about proprietary code of adobe in our type1 fonts

* Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> [121125 15:20]:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 02:07:03PM +0000, Bart Martens wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 02:34:34PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > If there is code in a font that has a license attached to it which does
> > > not meet the DFSG, then it should go out of Debian; not because we're
> > > not allowed to keep it in Debian by the author of said code, but because
> > > we don't *want* it to be in Debian, according to the DFSG.
> >
> > I agree with Wouter on the above.  Moreover, if it doesn't have a license, or
> > it's not clear whether there is a license, or if the license doesn't allow
> > redistribution, then it must go out of Debian not because we want it out but
> > because we're not allowed to redistribute it, not even in section non-free.
>
> You might want to ask Adobe first, though, before removing anything.

The EULAs of the different Adobe products are easily found in the net.
And they also list many pragraphs about the stuff embedded into
documents. Most of them are quite restrictive. For example for pdf forms
(those pdf documents where the receiver can fill in stuff) created with
Adobe programs, every organisation might as far as I read it either only
distribute 500 different pdf forms to an unlimited amount of people, or
a unlimited number of pdf forms to at most 500 different people (no
matter how many normal licenses of the programs you have, I guess you
need some special mass pdf form license otherwise).
If I remember correctly for embedded font software (I think that means
true type and non-rasterized postscript fonts), there is the permission
to place a copy in one (and only one) printer. And an extra permission
for a copy shop you bring your document in to use that font. And stuff
like that.
I.e. most stuff will non be suitable for Debian main. Some stuff might
be suitable for non-free. Many things will not be distributable at all.

        Bernhard R. Link