Re: Summary of C++ symbols experience

On 29/01/2012 08:19, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@debian.org> writes:
>
>> $ nm -CD libfoo.so  | awk '$2 == "W" {print;}'
>
>> I mentioned that the inlined symbols are all weak symbols. If the
>> library you're maintaining doesn't do use __attribute__((weak)), then
>> all the weak symbols present should be inlined and optional.
>
> Oh, hey, indeed.  Right, I didn't realize the implication of what you were
> saying.
>
> So... what if dpkg-gensymbols implicitly marked all weak symbols as
> optional and didn't care if they disappeared?  Would that make sense to
> do?  pkgkde-gensymbols could also mark all weak symbols as optional
> automatically in the interim.

No, that would break libraries that do use __attribute__((weak)). I think
(e)glibc, at least, uses it, in this most horrible way that I have never been
able to understand. (I tried to modify the open() call once to hack around a
bitflag conflict between an old Ubuntu OpenVZ client and a RHEL host, but never
managed to find the correct one to modify.. ¬_¬")

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin