Re: Summary of C++ symbols experience

Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:
> On 2012-01-28, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> 5. It's still not clear that the benefit is worth the amount of effort,
>>    since I expect most C++ libraries to require frequent SONAME changes
>>    anyway, which means that the long-term binary compatibility angle of

> Qt has kept binary compatibility since 4.0 was released in 2005. (and
> 3.0 kept binary compatibility during the 3.0 series)
> kdelibs has kept binary compatibility since 4.0 was released in 2007

> so I wouldn't as such call it 'frequent SONAME changes', but it do
> require carefulness and commitment from upstream to do it.

Right, I think Qt is quite possibly the best maintained C++ library of
significant size out there.  I'm not saying that the benefit isn't worth
it for fairly well-maintained libraries, *particularly* if they do symbol
export control, which eliminates much of the churn that I'm seeing
(although I'm still not sure what the implications of the inlining of
functions would be).  But I don't think most C++ libraries are like Qt.  I
could be wrong, I suppose; I don't have wide-ranging experience.