Re: piuparts-MBF: overwriting other packages files

Hi Manoj,

On Freitag, 7. August 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07 2009, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > Today I picked another simple category: packages which failed the
> > piuparts test because the package tries to overwrite another packages
> > files without declaring a conflict or replaces relation. See policy 7.4
> > and 7.6 at
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-conflicts
> > and
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-replaces

I've changed this text now: s/a conflict or/ and also removed the reference to
policy 7.4, since conflicts are not enough to prevent the problem of a
package trying to overwrite anothers files.

>         While it is good to discover these bugs, is puiparts the correct
>  place to do this check? Won't puiparts only report on packages
>  installed on the machine on which the test is run, and thus miss any
>  conflicts on packages not currently installed?

The piuparts tests on piuparts.d.o are run in clean chroots.
http://piuparts.debian.org has more info on the setup.

>         Also, shouldn't dpkg also complain about installing a package
>  with conflicts? And thus if one were running puiparts on one's new
>  package, one would already know about this when one installed the
>  package on the machine on testing?
>
>         I guess I am somewhat confused. Is this puiparts test telling me
>  something I would not learn anyway when I install my package for
>  testing?

Not really, especially if you run piuparts yourself before uploading ;) And of
course you can also manually do what piuparts does. But not every package is
maintained by someone who does this, some packages even don't have a
maintainer anymore :-)

piuparts(.d.o) is ment as a tool to catch common problems systematically.

>         Also, wouldn't a periodic check of the Contents.gz files yield
>  much more exhaustive results?

Yes, the results of that are available at
http://edos.debian.net/missing-conflicts/ ;-)

regards,
	Holger