Re: piuparts-MBF: overwriting other packages files

On Fri, Aug 07 2009, Holger Levsen wrote:

> Today I picked another simple category: packages which failed the piuparts
> test because the package tries to overwrite another packages files without
> declaring a conflict or replaces relation. See policy 7.4 and 7.6 at
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-conflicts and
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-replaces

        While it is good to discover these bugs, is puiparts the correct
 place to do this check? Won't puiparts only report on packages
 installed on the machine on which the test is run, and thus miss any
 conflicts on packages not currently installed?

        Also, shouldn't dpkg also complain about installing a package
 with conflicts? And thus if one were running puiparts on one's new
 package, one would already know about this when one installed the
 package on the machine on testing?

        I guess I am somewhat confused. Is this puiparts test telling me
 something I would not learn anyway when I install my package for
 testing?

        Also, wouldn't a periodic check of the Contents.gz files yield
 much more exhaustive results?

        manoj
--
There is no reaching the unattainable with mounts like these, but with
himself well under control a disciplined man can get there. 323