Re: Non-unified patches and dpkg source format ???3.0 (quilt)???.

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 07:52:08PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> So to summarise, you are suggesting me to write upstream that:

Why do you need to write anything to upstream?  If they still insist on
context diffs (or whatever that is called), I guess there is not much we
can do.  Debian insists (for good reasons) on unified diffs.  You can of
course ask them to reconsider again, but (as pointed out numerous times)
there is no reason to bring up anything like "the dpkg maintainer
oppresses you", it's a simle fact that unified diffs are the de-facto
standard in the FLOSS world.

The sensible way is to work around upstream by transforming their diffs
into unified diffs and storing the original diff in the source package
as well for reference.  Another option would be to make up a new orig
tarball (a bit more hassle, but certainly feasable).

The other alternative is to just make up your own source package patch
system and use 3.0-native as Goswin suggested (though I have no clue how
that works).

Michael