Re: Non-unified patches and dpkg source format ‘3.0 (quilt)’.

Le Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 11:23:11PM +1000, Ben Finney a écrit :

> Standard data interchange formats is such an argument: one which you
> even quoted me as putting forth. The de facto standard data format for
> interchange of patch data is unified-diff format.

So to summarise, you are suggesting me to write upstream that:

 1) We want to review their patches,
 2) We can not do this with context diffs,
 3) We do want to actively reject non-unified diffs despite our tools work well with them,
 4) The reason why they should adopt a new diff format is because it is new.

May I have some evidence that somebody really wants to review their patch? As I
explained already, it is not a random patch grabbed from their BTS, it is their
standard way to publish official corrections that change a few lines in an
archive of 20 Mo. I do not think there is more reason to review this patch than
any other change that they make when they release a new version.

What is next? Will the Project decide a standard whitespace policy and nitpick
every upstream project that does not respect it?

The only patch review system I know in Debian works well with context diffs
(http://patch-tracking.debian.net/package/emboss/6.1.0-2). Quilt, patch, diffstat,
all work well with context diff. dpkg-dev itself works well with context diffs.
The only reason it fails is that there is a political decision to reject
non-unified diffs.

I have moved the patches from debian/patches to debian/patch, which circumvents
the problem, since there is no will to compromise on either side.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,