Re: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 03:01:30PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16 2009, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
>
> > Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>  - Ability to recognize and render the following logical entities, in
> >>    decreasing order of importance:
> >>    + unordered lists
> >>    + ordered lists
> >
> > really needed?
>
>         I would think these are the guts of this proposal. Or else what
>  are we discussing here?
>

> >>    + emphasis
> >>    + strong emphasis
> >>    + definition lists
> >>    + hypertext links
> >>    + underlines, and strike throughs
> >
> > I don't think they are needed.
>
>         Why not? If rendering a description in a manner that makes it
>  easier to read is the goal, I fail to see why emphasis and strong
>  emphasis is a bad idea (think of text-to-speech mechanisms). This is
>  not just opinions we are discussing here, we should be looking at use
>  cases for marking up a textual description.
>
> > Underlines is generally bad, strike throughs are worse ;-)
>
>         So you say. Don't use them, then. There are cases where either
>  one of these constructs have value; and you should not impose your
>  personal aesthetics on a general policy discussion.

Just as a kind of clarification: Manoj, I think that Giacomo's comments
were only to the *last* item of the text he quoted, not to the whole
portion above it :)  Thus, IMHO his first "really needed?" question
referred specifically to the "ordered lists" item, and the "I don't think
they are needed" referred specifically to the "underlines and
strike-throughs", not to the emphasis, strong emphasis, etc.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@space.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
If this sentence didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.