Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

Le mercredi 13 juin 2007 à 15:19 +0200, Bjørn Ingmar Berg a écrit :
> When computers and humans interact (on a technical level)
> humans must adapt to the computer, because computers can not.

Anyone starting with such assumptions should never design any kind of
user interface.

> Dealing with chunks of data, addresses, registers, etc. has to be done
> in base 2.  Even if 1024 is "close enough" to 10^3 for a PHB or
> marketing humanoid, that will never make those two numbers equal.  And
> it must never be allowed to.  Computers, computer designers, computer
> technicians and most computer programmers will always deal with the
> _real_ base 2 numbers like 1024.

Which is why they need appropriate units.

> Another example.  Pi is an irrational number starting with 3.14....
> Sure, it would be easier to "standardize" it to 3.00.  Done deal.  It
> would be easier to remember and more marketable.  It would also be
> totally useless AND completely wrong.  AFAIK some very dumb people
> actually managed to decree by law that pi was to equal 3.  They had to
> stop doing that.

This is exactly what you are trying to do: state that 1024 = 1000.

> A well-known and very common trait of language is that one given word
> can often have more than one specific meaning.  When this is the case
> you need a context to be sure.  This is considered normal, and never a
> real problem.  This should hold true regarding computers and counting
> as well.

Yeah, sure. This is why mathematicians always use 3 instead of Pi in
calculations. After all they are similar, and you can infer which one is
actually being used depending on the context.

> I am very convinced the correct solution is always to
> educate the public.  The world is not flat.  The earth is not the
> center of the universe.  Pi is not 3.  A kilobyte is not 1000; it is
> 1024 because that is the way computers work.

I am convinced the correct solution is to educate the group of blindfold
hackers who think 1024 = 1000. It is much easier than educating millions
of users.

Wake up, Neo. There is a world out there. And in this world, "kilo"
means 1000. One thousand. 10³.

--
 .''`.