Re: Best practices for cron jobs?

* Duncan Findlay:

> I imagine it would be relatively simple to have the postinst generate
> a random time during the day for a cron script to run, but this
> doesn't work with anacron -- many users would never get updates.

debsecan creates a cron entry which is run hourly, at a random minute,
and the invoked script simply does nothing unless a day has passed
since the last activity.

This was the best thing I could come up with.  People keep talking
about ucf in this context, but I don't see how it contributes to a
solution. (Just make sure that the generated cron entry does not
contain any configuration data such as command line arguments.)