Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 09:24 +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> The difference is a sufficiently small percentage, that most users will
> not care.

No, like I said in my earlier post, the error grows quickly. As 1.024^x,
in fact.

x = 1	kibi vs. kilo		2.4%
x = 2	mebi vs. mega		4.9%
x = 3	gibi vs. giga		7.4%
x = 4	tebi vs. tera		10%

Especially nowadays with terabyte disks coming out and hitting the
consumer market, there is *no place* for 10% of ambiguity. This was
precisely my point earlier. "Back in the day", nobody cared for 2.4%
error because all they ever measured anything in was kilo-somethings.
--
Alex Jones
http://alex.weej.com/