Re: Where did Bacula 1.38.11-7+b1 come from?

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:36:26AM -0500, Matthias Julius wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> >> wanna-build and buildd have been modified a while back to be able to do
> >> binNMU's. The only human involvement is when a given package is marked
> >> in the database as 'requires a binNMU', and when the buildd admin later
> >> signs the package, as usual.
> >
> > Would it be possible to record the name of the human that marked the
> > package in debian/changelog?  That would be a big help, I think (and
> > hopefully avoid a discussion on debian-devel next time it happens)
>
> Since this is about a binNMU where the source package is not touched
> and the changelog lives inside the source package how is that supposed
> to be possible?
>
> Adding to the changelog requires a new upload.

No, that's not true. Since the version of a Debian package is distilled
from the changelog, the only way to change it is by changing the
changelog. This is also one of the reasons why buildd needs support for
binNMU's: because you need to do some weird stuff with the source before
actually building.

Since you're doing a build anyway, and since that changelog entry ends
up in the .changes file, it would sound reasonable to request that the
human who does the upload is mentioned in the changelog. This is already
possible (requesting a build requires that you also specify a changelog
entry), but the tools do not enforce entering a name; and it's also
impossible to automatically add a name upon request, since
ftp-master.d.o does not necessarily have a user account for the person
doing the request.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22