Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 18:06 +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 09:32:07PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

> > > You *do* know that there is a graphical gconf-editor, right?
> > >
> > > [snip]
> >
> > Umm yes, a clumsy replacement for a former GOOD configuration system.
>
> My mention of the gconf-editor wasn't about whether it's a good or bad
> way of configurating a system, just pointing out that your arguments
> would be more credible if you didn't use contrived examples to make
> seem more complicated than they are.

Then why mention it at all? My contrived example is plausible.

> > Sure, it has paths and other junk... many things are not able to be
> > edited or added in gconf-editor. gconf-editor is a pile of crap. No
> > better than the cli ones.
> >
> > I have regularly had my GCONF stuff partially corrupted in any case.
> > Associations go away, programs crash spontaneously, I look for bugs...
> > find the exact same things I have. Solution or workaround? remove *ALL*
> > user gconf and gnome settings. Literally nuke them.
>
> Fascinating.  That's *never* happened here.  Ever.

Oh, sorry. I guess this is my bad, I guess *I AM* the only one. In that
case. Then move along now, nothing to see here, keep you eyes to
yourself

> [snip]
>
> Oh, and by the way, there's very few things I've ever lacked in ways of
> configuration in GNOME; in fact, the only thing I can think of is how
> focusing works in metacity.  It's implementation of sloppy focus is
> quite lousy IMHO, but then again, not even changing the focus setting
> through gconf helps that, since it's a lousy implementation, not lack of
> configurability that causes my grief.

I guess you have tricked yourself into working like a newbie.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux