Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 21:16 +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 06:34:18AM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > >
> > > Features. Features, features, features. Do you only want features,
> > > without even knowing whether they are useful? Sorry, usability is not
> > > about features.
> >
> > Are you telling me that these features I keep see getting removed are
> > *NOT* about usability for me? OK, functionality to me... Functionality
> > for me determines my usability. It I have to use some archaic command
> > like (btw I don't really mind them *IF* they are well documented) but
> > like:
> >         gconftool-2.3-1-9.mark32 -a2 -r4 --/usr/sbin/someothercommand \
> >         \-\-optionforexternalcommand -32 --etc -e -t-c \
> >         --corruptmysettingsplease
>
> You *do* know that there is a graphical gconf-editor, right?
>
> [snip]

Umm yes, a clumsy replacement for a former GOOD configuration system.

Sure, it has paths and other junk... many things are not able to be
edited or added in gconf-editor. gconf-editor is a pile of crap. No
better than the cli ones.

I have regularly had my GCONF stuff partially corrupted in any case.
Associations go away, programs crash spontaneously, I look for bugs...
find the exact same things I have. Solution or workaround? remove *ALL*
user gconf and gnome settings. Literally nuke them.

I sure love a (un-)reliable configuration system being pushed on me this
way, piece of crap. Regularly, I get a Fresh desktop to configure...
WEE!

Come on, continuous refreshment is REALLY good for someone that needs to
get work done... yeah wasting time fixing things to work the way he
wants.

Or, I can just adjust the way I work to be a NEW USER all the time...
*GREAT* I now get to work like a completely useless computer user... to
get my stuff done! YEAH! Way to go TEAM GNOME!

This happens FAR to often to be unrelated and rare. Or maybe I guess I
really am a troublesome user.

Pardon me while I wipe up the severe sarcasm spillage.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux