Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 11:51 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 20 janvier 2007 à 04:30 -0500, Greg Folkert a écrit :
> > I would assert they are not listening to their former BIGGEST fans and
> > users. You can easily find droves rants/discussions of current GNOME
> > users very disgruntled with the REMOVAL of features that previously were
> > there. Some users are now FORMER GNOME users due to these removals.
>
> Features. Features, features, features. Do you only want features,
> without even knowing whether they are useful? Sorry, usability is not
> about features.

Are you telling me that these features I keep see getting removed are
*NOT* about usability for me? OK, functionality to me... Functionality
for me determines my usability. It I have to use some archaic command
like (btw I don't really mind them *IF* they are well documented) but
like:
        gconftool-2.3-1-9.mark32 -a2 -r4 --/usr/sbin/someothercommand \
        \-\-optionforexternalcommand -32 --etc -e -t-c \
        --corruptmysettingsplease

I'm not really thrilled.

> I, for one, thank those usability engineers for removing these tons of
> useless

USELESS, maybe to many. Remember in GNOME 1.4 there was a "expertise
setting" for the amount and number of settings shown? I do. Sure, as a
default provide only the basics. But let me install the "medium" or
"power" or "stupidly-insane" settings user. It doesn't hurt to partition
them that way... why remove them IF the basic user won't have access to
them until they realize there is other config managers for the medium or
power or insanity-based users.

>  features that clutter menus, desktop, applications, and dialog
> boxes. You

        s/You/Some/

>  can gain much productivity by removing them, and that doesn't
> only account for newbie users. There is still work to do, e.g. by
> looking at the insane list of capplets.

Sure, continue driving the people that made GNOME popular early on. Good
plan.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is