Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 02:50 +0100, Michael Banck wrote:

> > > Contrary to us, GNOME (in this case RedHat) actually employs usability
> > > experts.  Who are we to think we know better?
> >
> > Actual users?
>
> I'm not quite sure what your point is.  Are you asserting the GNOME
> usability engineers are not actually using GNOME?

I would assert they are not listening to their former BIGGEST fans and
users. You can easily find droves rants/discussions of current GNOME
users very disgruntled with the REMOVAL of features that previously were
there. Some users are now FORMER GNOME users due to these removals.

For myself personally GNOME 1.4 was very well featured. Though it wasn't
"put together" as well as 2.16 is today. The removal of the easy to use
mechanisms to change behavior has been a thorn in my side something
awful. This trend to initial users having a "safe" experience is just
about killing me.

If you take a look at all the project trying to "add" those things being
taken out by the GNOME team and its usability experts with the drone of
"SANE DEFAULTS" and then taking away the means to change them once you
get past the safeness of that... the noise to me is deafening.

They routinely and as if by willful decisions, ignore the "mid-level
user" to "power user" as *NOT* being the target audience. At least
acknowledge that by help the beginning users... please DO NOT HARM or
HINDER these learned user.

well, to be honest, I only use GNOME now because as an integrated
desktop, at the moment: It is "THE SUCKEST THE LEASTEST"

If you do not understand my meaning, think if Devil's Pie, the
power-toyz add-ons, this recent addiction with eye-candy again (much
similar to what GNOME and SAW-FISH/MILL could already do years ago.

While, I praise the GNOME teams for the timely march on-ward, I also
curse them for the ignorant ways of calling balderdash to anything to
improve the computing experience of the "very skilled user" or "power
user"

I am sorry, I've read to much from other people on this subject. I've
also voiced my opinion from time to time... in rants. But the progress I
still see (yes progress, but what kind I don't know) is disappointing.

That is all for now. And probably quite a while, unless someone gets my
ire up on the subject again.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is