Re: Bug mass filling

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:53:56PM -0400, Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org> wrote:
> * Andreas Barth (aba@not.so.argh.org) wrote:
> > * Mike Hommey (mh@glandium.org) [061019 21:14]:

> > > 'is a severe violation of Debian policy (roughly, it violates a "must" or
> > >  "required" directive), or'
> >
> > The html-code for this part is:
> > <DT><CODE>serious</CODE>
> > <DD>is a <a href="http://release.debian.org/etch_rc_policy.txt";>severe
> > violation of Debian policy</a> (roughly, it violates a "must" or "required"
> > directive), or, in the package maintainer's opinion, makes the package
> > unsuitable for release.
> >
> > So, obviously http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities defines
> > that "severe violation of Debian policy" means anything referenced in
> > the etch_rc_policy-document.
>
> I would have thought that meant a violation of
> http://www.us.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/.

That was not a link before it was changed before sarge release, in July
2004.

Interesting log in the web page cvs:

  The RM defines what the 'serious' severity means.

  <jvw> regarding -a and -o in -test, aj, Kamion and vorlon said on June 8
        that it is not considered RC by you guys. Okay to tag bugs with
        '... uses XSIisms (test ... -a/-o ...) with sarge-ignore?
  <aj> jvw: no, it's not okay for them to be marked RC in the first place
  <aj> http://people.debian.org/~ajt/sarge_rc_policy.txt is the canonical
       place to look for the definition of "severe policy violation"
  <aj> sarge-ignore is not possible as it is not an RC issue
  [...]
  <jvw> aj: so you say http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities is
        wrong?
  <aj> whatever
  <jvw> I'm not going to be able to convince people that
        http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities is wrong, but I
        might be able to say it isn't a Sarge issue at least, but that
        involves sarge-ignore, which requires your okay
  <aj> it doesn't matter what that page says
  <aj> http://people.debian.org/~ajt/sarge_rc_policy.txt is canonical
  <aj> if the bug doesn't match the criteria on that page it's not serious
       grave or critical

So, what is written on http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities
doesn't count (not to say it's crap), and it's not necessary to change
it.

By the way, reportbug doesn't give anything close to a hint that it
could be anything else than than Debian Policy:

3 serious
  is a severe violation of Debian policy (that is, the problem is a
  violation of a 'must' or 'required' directive); may or may not affect
  the usability of the package. Note that non-severe policy violations
  may be 'normal,' 'minor,' or 'wishlist' bugs. (Package maintainers
  may also designate other bugs as 'serious' and thus release-critical;
  however, end users should not do so.)