Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

>> course, it would be DFSG-compliant, but I guess that's not something
>> you're too concerned about, eh?

> It wouldn't. It would limit the useage which is not allowed.

> And I couldn't care les about DFSG-compliance for those scripts. They
> have nothing to do with the DFSG as they are.

So, I'm just a random user of Debian and not directly involved in any of
this, but since no one has made this point directly that I've seen....

I'm sitting here mystified as to why you would even *want* to try to run a
service for Debian on software that isn't DFSG-compliant, let alone say
that it has nothing to do with the DFSG.  Doesn't that really miss the
entire point?  The purpose of Debian is to build a Linux distribution
based on free software, and the build system is pretty integral to the
process of building Debian.

Sure, if you release your scripts as free software, someone else can use
them to do something you didn't want or anticipate.  Um... welcome to free
software.  That is, to a large degree, the whole bloody *point*.  The DFSG
exist because of the belief that we'll all be better off if we share
software freely and openly even to the extent of letting other people fork
our software packages.

I can understand if you don't agree with this philosophy; certainly, not
everyone does.  But if you don't, why would you want to be involved at all
with a Linux distribution that's built around that philosophy as part of
its core foundation?  Isn't that just a recipe for lots of personal
frustration and head-butting?

Please don't read any intended implications into my questions.  I'm not
assuming some conclusion; I'm honestly baffled by your statement.