Debian Standard Mirror configuration (was: apt experimental breaks w/ webcaching)

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:49:46 -0800, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
wrote:
>It would be great if the mirrors would supply explicit Expires headers,
>since they know when they will be next synched.

With our mechanisms' compexity increasing, properly configuring a
mirror has become increasingly difficult. Some client programs behave
unexpectedly when returning the default MIME types for .tar.gz files,
it is recommended to rsync packages without deletion, then rsync
Packages/Release file and finally rsync packages again with deletion
to always deliver consistent package pools, and now Debian mirrors
have to especially cater to create appropriate Expires: headers.

What is desperately needed is a Debian-mirror HOWTO, including
configuration snippets and mirror scripts, since even our official
mirrors seem to get it wrong.

Greetings
Marc