Re: Debian Standard Mirror configuration (was: apt experimental breaks w/ webcaching)

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:49:46 -0800, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >It would be great if the mirrors would supply explicit Expires headers,
> >since they know when they will be next synched.
>
> With our mechanisms' compexity increasing, properly configuring a
> mirror has become increasingly difficult. Some client programs behave
> unexpectedly when returning the default MIME types for .tar.gz files,
> it is recommended to rsync packages without deletion, then rsync
> Packages/Release file and finally rsync packages again with deletion
> to always deliver consistent package pools, and now Debian mirrors
> have to especially cater to create appropriate Expires: headers.
>
> What is desperately needed is a Debian-mirror HOWTO, including
> configuration snippets and mirror scripts, since even our official
> mirrors seem to get it wrong.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

Debmirror (>>20040228), i.e. the rewritten one, defaults to
downloading the Release/Packages/Sources files into a temp dir, then
update the packages and only after that move the metafiles in place.
That, till now missing feature, anoyed me often enough too.

As for the expire headers setting expire for /dists to say 1h
while keeping /pool to a week or month should work.

On the same note, is there a way to tell apt-get to ignore the cache
and enforce fetching files (like shift-reload in a browser)? Could
apt-get detect the need for it (e.g. always force fetch Release and
force the rest when they don't match)?

MfG
        Goswin