Re: Request for Clue: i18n of fortune-esque things

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 07:57:00PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Joel Baker wrote:
>
> > That's more or less what I was hoping - however, checking
> > /usr/share/doc/fortune-mod doesn't show any references to 'language', or
> > any obvious references to i18n or l10n, at least on stable (my chroots are
> > currently down due to one machine having some severe stability problems).
> > Is this just a more-recent-than-stable development?
> Yes. Try testing and for instance fortunes-de which places the German
> cookies at the right place.

That's far from being proper i18n, unless I understand it wrong i18n in
fortunes just means placing new dat files under /usr/share/games/fortunes.
That does not give any tools at all for translators to _translate_
fortunes, it's esentially a mechanism to show fortunes in different
languages with _different_ (and usually localised) content.

If you want to have a fortune-based mechanism for debian tips you should
make sure you can give translators tools to translate the tips in your
package and give fortune a way to use the i18n properly. That is gettext,
and there is no gettext support in fortune as far as I see it.

Otherwise you might get to create tips, have them translated and, in the
long run, users will see _outdated_ (or incomplete) tips because there are
no proper mechanisms (i.e. msgmerge) for translators to notice you updated
the the tips or added new ones.

Just my 2c.

Regards

Javi

PS: I'm not sure how "tip of the day" is handled in KDE (kti) or GNOME
(which program handles those?), maybe you could take a look (and talk) with
the upstream authors to know how are they handled, Gimp and Gnuchas also
seems to do properly it as far as I see..