Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 11:48:06AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  (I am sure one can come up with some reason for moving every single
>  probgram out of sbin, and thus lose all the benefits of the split).

Could you remind me what these benefits are again?  Pretend for a moment
that the FHS doesn't exist and it's entirely up to us.  What exactly DO we
gain by having some binaries segregated off into sbin?

> 	route is in sbin. period.

This begs the question.

>  If people wat to see the current
>  routing status, they have two options:
>   a) add /sbin to your path, or type in the full path name
>   b) install netstat.

So why isn't netstat in sbin?

> 	You can't please veryone all the time. In attempting to please
>  the semi-sysadmin power user you  are going to remove a feature that
>  benefits the absolute novice.

Again, please tell me what these benefits are.  Do you have anything
approaching quantifiable data or a testable hypothesis?

> 	Any semi-sysadmin/power user types should also be
>  knowledegable enough to modify their path variables. Or create an
>  alias. Or a symlink. Indeed, if you use it often enough, _do_ change
>  the path. But do not assume that what is good for you is good for
>  everyone else.

I think a set of rational and intuitive grounds for determining what goes
into sbin is good for everyone.  ping is in bin, traceroute is in sbin;
netstat is in bin, route is in sbin...

>  Branden> In other words, I think the choice of directory should be
>  Branden> controlled by factors intrinsic, not extrinsic, to the
>  Branden> program in question.
>
> 	To a point. But I think making this an absolute rule is going
>  too far.

Please identify the extrinsic factors that you think trump the
characteristics of the actual program.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   Religion is something left over from the
Debian GNU/Linux                |   infancy of our intelligence; it will