Re: Intent To Split: netbase

>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

 Branden> On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 10:53:51AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
 >> d) they don't know about an alternative command which is already in
 >> their path.  [For example: netstat -er gives the same information
 >> as route.]

 Branden> I don't think it's feasible for a standards body or a
 Branden> package maintainer to make case-by-decisions on the location
 Branden> of a tool based upon the functionality of every other tool
 Branden> that might provide that functionality.

	Taken to extremes, no.

 Branden> This would lead to an unstable environment, where the
 Branden> presence of route in bin would justified if and only if
 Branden> nothing else could show you the routing tables.  This would

	I think I disagree here. Instead of laying down the law like
 this, I would rather leave things fuzzy, and rely on common sense;
 just because route provides routing information shoul not be enough
 to move it out of sbin (I am sure one can come up with some reason
 for moving every single probgram out of sbin, and thus lose all the
 benefits of the split).

 Branden> also differ on a system-by-system basis as users have
 Branden> different packages installed.  Should route go into bin for
 Branden> users that (somehow) don't have netstat installed, but sbin
 Branden> for users that do?  It makes no sense.

	route is in sbin. period. If people wat to see the current
 routing status, they have two options:
  a) add /sbin to your path, or type in the full path name
  b) install netstat.

	You can't please veryone all the time. In attempting to please
 the semi-sysadmin power user you  are going to remove a feature that
 benefits the absolute novice.

	Any semi-sysadmin/power user types should also be
 knowledegable enough to modify their path variables. Or create an
 alias. Or a symlink. Indeed, if you use it often enough, _do_ change
 the path. But do not assume that what is good for you is good for
 everyone else.

 Branden> In other words, I think the choice of directory should be
 Branden> controlled by factors intrinsic, not extrinsic, to the
 Branden> program in question.

	To a point. But I think making this an absolute rule is going
 too far.

	manoj
--
 I saw a subliminal advertising executive, but only for a
 second. Steven Wright