Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?

On 28 Feb 2000 07:37:47 -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 12:15:45PM +1100, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> > A fairly basic script could translate xterm options to whatever was
> > required for the selected emulator.  That way, menu.h and packages could
> > treat `x-terminal-emulator' simply as they would xterm and it will work.
>
> The downside is that the script would have to know about every
> supported executable.

How about a script that, after using environment variables/config
files/the phase of the moon to determine which terminal emulator to
run, sources a file provided in each of the terminal emulator
packages. The terminal emulator packages would then be required to
provide this file, which contains the code to translate the standard
options to those required by the emulators themselves.

So, we have a wrapper script like this:
. /etc/X11/terminal-emulator-wrappers/${XTERM}

And we have in the xterm, rxvt, etc packages scripts that translate
the options.

(Obviously, I'm simplifing the scripts more than a bit, but hopefully
this illustrates my point, and it allows for having the wrapper script
without needing to know about every terminal emulator.)

--
Tom Rothamel --------- http://onegeek.org/~tom/ ---------- Using GNU/Linux