Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 05:12:36AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 10:12:05PM +0000, Malcolm Parsons wrote:
>> Why aren't packages using available alternatives? Does this need to be made
>> policy?  A quick grep of /usr/lib/menu/* reveals the following programs
>> that are not using the alternative:

>I believe all X terminal emulators support a subset of xterm's traditional
>command-line options, including -T and -e.  I wouldn't count on more than
>that being available, though.

Hmm, a possible solution would be to make x-terminal-emulator a wrapper
script rather than an alternatives symlink.

A fairly basic script could translate xterm options to whatever was
required for the selected emulator.  That way, menu.h and packages could
treat `x-terminal-emulator' simply as they would xterm and it will work.

This solution is also more flexible, as you could have a global
selection of the default emulator in /etc/X11/something, and allow that
to be overridden on a per-user basis.

You could also allow args like `--for-Eterm=-O' which would be passed to
Eterm, but ignored otherwise.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9809 0133