Re: Debian is not a "main distro"?

Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> writes:

> In addition to the packager apparently being slower, and the
> unnecessary interaction, many Debian packages do a lot of unnecessary
> computation: recompiling elisp files 3 or 4 times, recompiling TeX
> formats, etc.

I think that any given add-on shouldn't have it's elisp compiled more
than once per installation per emacs flavor.  Actually it might be
twice, but not 3 or 4 times.  Are you sure?

Also, if RedHat doesn't do something like this (and I suspect they
don't) then they can't do what we can do with respect to emacsen.
There's no reasonable way around this process that still supports byte
compiled files for every installed flavor of emacs.

> While Debian is easier to upgrade, and Debian packages seem to be of
> a higher quality, Red Hat has Debian beat on installation.

In some cases they may just have a better (faster) way of handling the
situation, but in many, they may just not be "DTRT".