Re: Debian is not a "main distro"?

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 01:03:00PM -0400, Steve Dunham wrote:
> "Pat O'Brien" <plobrien@pacificnet.net> writes:
>
> > If installation is the your main criteria, why not just stick with
> > windoze !!!!
>
> You obviously haven't installed Windows.  The installation sucks.  I
> speak from experience, I've engineered automated network installs for
> NT.
>
> It shouldn't be too difficult for you to infer that installation isn't
> the number one criterion by which I judge OSes: I think Red Hat has a
> better install. I use Debian. Conclusion: there are other criteria
> involved.
>
> Debian is lacking on the installation front. I want Debian to improve.
> So I point out the shortcoming.  This is an appropriate list for
> constructive criticism. We need to discuss shortcomings here or Debian
> will never improve.

I agree and would like to point out one important fact...

The installation is the first real bit anyone sees of Debian. If they can't
get through the install easily, then they may not continue.

Can't win converts if they don't last past the installation. (unless
someone wants to argue that the installation should be hard...kind of
an initation into the club :) )

hell id like to see an optional "kiddie" install which does everything
right from start in X (using "as safe as possible" defaults)) - of course
it would require a larger install media like a CD but...hey it would
be cool :)

notice I said optional: I wouldn't use it :) but I would like to see it
(I think it would be doable...any thoughts? im tempted
to look into what kind of mimimal system woul dbe needed...)

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"