Re: source for artwork

On 20.02.2014 17:04, Simon McVittie wrote:
[...]
> I had read redeclipse's debian/copyright as saying that its maintainer
> knows (or at least strongly believes) that a preferred form for
> modification exists, and that it is not included. If I'm wrong about
> that, and we are in fact distributing the most modifiable form that
> the project is aware of, it might well be OK for main. Ask the
> maintainer and the ftpmasters?

Yup, that's what I'm doing right now. The maintainer of Red Eclipse is
the Debian Games Team.

> If the maintainer does know about a preferred form for modification
> that is not distributed in Debian, the fact that redeclipse is under
> CC-BY-SA (as opposed to OA's GPL) means we are not required by the
> copyright license to ship the *preferred* form for modification, only
> *some* modifiable form. However, I'm under the impression that the
> DFSG as interpreted by the ftpmasters (which is the interpretation
> that matters when deciding what can go in main) does specifically
> require the preferred form for modification.

[...]
> If you believe that modifiable but non-preferred-form files should be
> allowed in main, then the proposers of that GR agreed with you, and
> the people to convince are the ftpmasters and the project as a whole,
> not me or the games team.

The reason why I'm discussing this issue on debian-devel-games is due to
the fact that this package is team-maintained by us. I think the correct
approach would be to discuss such specific issues always here on this
list, to get all members involved in the discussion and then come to a
conclusion. Whereas the wrong approach would be to start a thread on
debian-devel before talking to the people who are directly affected by
the outcome of this proposal.

Another reason is my understanding of the current situation. I believe
this is not an ftpmaster issue because they have already accepted a lot
of similar packages in main, data that is mostly licensed under
CC-BY-SA. If a package like FreeOrion is accepted in main, Red Eclipse
should be there, too. As you have already acknowledged yourself in this
thread, it is nearly impossible to know whether data files such as
images are the preferred form of modification. I also think this term is
rather well understood in the case of software but is often the subject
of interpretation issues when it comes to artwork.

The ftpmasters seem to be aware of this controversy and grant us a
margin of discretion in regard to artwork and the preferred form of
modification question.

I allege that the developers of Red Eclipse don't retain higher quality
artwork deliberately and that they share everything according to their
license agreement. I also allege that Martin, the uploader of Red
Eclipse, would continue to maintain Red Eclipse in main but could not do
so before due to uncertainties in regard to the interpretation of "the
preferred form of modification" clause and the inconsistent application
of those rules in this team.

I therefore ask all team members to voice their opinion and to support
my proposal to move Red Eclipse to the main section of the Debian
archive, since it consists of DFSG free software and artwork.

Regards,

Markus