Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On 19/02/14 17:37, Markus Koschany wrote:
> If packages become uninstallable because they have been moved to
> main, then most likely some sort of packaging error had occured
> before. Let's take src:sauerbraten as an example here. It
> currently depends on a non-free package but it is more sensible to
> let the non-free package depend on the free one instead. Thus you
> can avoid installation problems, if the package is moved to main.

Right, the *game engine* can operate on either free or non-free data,
but the *game* (set of engine + data + menu entries and stuff)
includes non-free data, and the current packaging associates the
user-facing "game" bit with the engine rather than the data.

> I fail to understand why software like residualvm has to stay in
> contrib although the program is free and fully functional just
> because there is no current input for it.

Packages that can be characterized as "interpreter/viewer for content
in a highly specialized format" are in a bit of a grey area. In
descending order of "main-ness":

Unambiguously in main: ioquake3 is clearly able to work with either
free or non-free data, because we have an example of free data for it
in the archive.

In main, but purists might object: quakespasm is able to work with
free data (OpenQuartz exists) but we don't have any in the archive
(because I'm told OQ isn't complete enough to actually be a fun game,
so nobody has bothered to package it).

Not in main, although it sounds as though you'd argue that it should
be: in theory someone could construct a DFSG game such that
yamagi-quake2 could play it; but in practice, nobody is even trying
to, so it would seem rather dishonest to upload it to main and say
"it's an interpreter for game content that happens to be in the same
game-specific format as id Software's Quake II (and we will respond
with amusement to bug reports from people trying to play things other
than Quake II on it)".

I'm not sure where the Sauerbraten/Cube 2 engine would go along that
scale.