Re: debconf, debcamp and webbased goplay

Op 2008-03-18, Ivan Vucica schreef <ivucica@gmail.com>:
> Everyone keeps mentioning the package size :)
>
> I've inspected one of larger screenies:
> /usr/share/games/thumbnails/ri-li.png
>
> Simple reduction of color depth from 24-bit to 8-bit using GIMP has
> yielded excellent results without _any noticable artifacts_ (at least
> to the bare eye, especially one which is only browsing like in GoPlay)
> 24-bit: 140096 bytes
> 8-bit: 36913 bytes
>
> That's 26% of the original size.
>
> Since I could not find a reasonable batch converter (find -exec +
> convert from ImageMagick did weird things) I didn't calculate total
> reduction if we did it.

I processed all png thumbnails as follows:

  mogrify -colors 256 -depth 8 *.png   # from imagemagick
  optipng *.png
  advpng -z4 *.png                     # from advancecomp

The combined size was reduced from 4.3M to 2.5M. The ri-li screenshot
ends up being 49449 bytes, which is much larger than Ivan's result.
Imagemagick probably uses a different color reduction algorithm.

As Ivan said, there aren't any noticable artifacts. I've put the
reduced thumbnails online together with the originals at
http://caladan.rave.org/thumbnails/