Re: debconf, debcamp and webbased goplay

On 3/17/08, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:

> > 2. Are those just screenshots or could they be any kind of images
> > related to game? (For example, splash screens?)
>
> Do you think a spash screen would be really representative for the
> game? Me doesn't, but that doesn't mean that it might not make sense in
> corner cases.

I think that e.g. Duke Nukem's cover brings more "spirit" of the game
to mind, than a random screenie of the first level :)

> > 3. How about adding possibility of several screenies instead of only one?
>
> Make them cycle?

Or selectable. (smaller screenies of 32x32 that grow to current size upon click)

> The thing is, it would make the games-thumbnails
> package explode in size.

Few sources of thumbnails:
* games-thumbnails-small (one thumb per game)
* games-thumbnails
* if online, dynamic fetching of screenies from web, storing in
~/.games-thumbnails and perhaps /var/lib/games-thumbnails

> > 4. Why not print out full name of the game instead of just package name?
>
> In the list it should stick with package name and synopsis, but you are
> right, it might make sense to have the longtitle from the menu file in
> the package overview on the righthand side.

tmw or The Mana World, which would touch a 10yr old child's interest
more when randomly browsing, prior to clicking? :)

> One more thing that would be
> definitely something I would put into the web-interface - but I'm not
> too sure how that would be doable in goplay itself. The thing is: Where
> to get the full name of the game from?

I think gnome-app-install gets icons and names from .desktop files.

> > 5. Not all games seem to be in the system. For example, a "Multiplayer
> > RPG" called The Mana World (package tmw).
>
> tmw is in it.

Negative (for me). I have two things in it, and tmw is not one of
them. (I can't check right now which things I do have since I'm on PDA
right now, wasting GPRS traffic I have for this month.)

> It goes through tags, and if you have a private build
> installed (which happened to me too when doing stuff on wesnoth) it
> didn't had the Tags attached so it didn't show up in goplay at that
> time.
>
> I would expect it to be a similar thing for you.

I thought it's tag related.

But, no, I don't have a private build.

> I also wonder what the package
> name link on the righthand side should accomplish, because when I click
> on it it displays this message on the debug output to me:
>
> PackageView::link_cb(): Widget=0x1007C4F0, URI="pkg:adonthell"

From URI, by the odd protocol "pkg", I believe they want to open a
graphical installer for that package.

Which might be a good idea.

But it'd be better to remove hyperlink from that line and add
"Install", "Launch", "Web site", "Help&Hints" (where applies).

> > Hope my comments mean something :)
>
> To me they did, yes. Thanks.
>
> [69 lines of fullquote snipped]

Wee :)