Re: debconf, debcamp and webbased goplay

* Ivan Vucica <ivucica@gmail.com> [2008-03-17 14:12:32 CET]:
> Regarding GoPlay in general.
>
> 1. There's a relatively small base of games with screenshots. Am I
> right? What's the process of submitting screenshots for games?

 http://pkg-games.alioth.debian.org/thumbnails/
 Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-games/software/thumbnails/

 I would guess commiting to both places should get you there.

> 2. Are those just screenshots or could they be any kind of images
> related to game? (For example, splash screens?)

 Do you think a spash screen would be really representative for the
game? Me doesn't, but that doesn't mean that it might not make sense in
corner cases.

> 3. How about adding possibility of several screenies instead of only one?

 Make them cycle? The thing is, it would make the games-thumbnails
package explode in size.

> 4. Why not print out full name of the game instead of just package name?

 In the list it should stick with package name and synopsis, but you are
right, it might make sense to have the longtitle from the menu file in
the package overview on the righthand side. One more thing that would be
definitely something I would put into the web-interface - but I'm not
too sure how that would be doable in goplay itself. The thing is: Where
to get the full name of the game from?

> 5. Not all games seem to be in the system. For example, a "Multiplayer
> RPG" called The Mana World (package tmw).

 tmw is in it. It goes through tags, and if you have a private build
installed (which happened to me too when doing stuff on wesnoth) it
didn't had the Tags attached so it didn't show up in goplay at that
time.

 I would expect it to be a similar thing for you.

> 6. It'd be quite interesting if GoPlay would also be able to launch
> installation of package, similar to gnome-app-install, plus launch the
> game itself if it's been installed already. That'd make it a central
> game management system, which might be quite interesting for <10year
> old children who wish to browse random games without getting their
> hands dirty with other parts of the system. It'd also make
> install+launch transparent to child's eye.

 Sounds reasonable and like a good idea. I also wonder what the package
name link on the righthand side should accomplish, because when I click
on it it displays this message on the debug output to me:

PackageView::link_cb(): Widget=0x1007C4F0, URI="pkg:adonthell"

> Hope my comments mean something :)

 To me they did, yes. Thanks.

[69 lines of fullquote snipped]

 So long,