Re: debconf, debcamp and webbased goplay

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> wrote:
>  games-thumbnails package, release 20080227, is currently 4206 kB, and
>  growing. Where to put the limit is a mystery to me, but keep size into
>  account too :)
>
>  It would be nice, though. Maybe I could add support for .mng thumbnails?
>
>  Miry

Everyone keeps mentioning the package size :)

I've inspected one of larger screenies:
/usr/share/games/thumbnails/ri-li.png

Simple reduction of color depth from 24-bit to 8-bit using GIMP has
yielded excellent results without _any noticable artifacts_ (at least
to the bare eye, especially one which is only browsing like in GoPlay)
24-bit: 140096 bytes
8-bit: 36913 bytes

That's 26% of the original size.

Since I could not find a reasonable batch converter (find -exec +
convert from ImageMagick did weird things) I didn't calculate total
reduction if we did it.

--
Ivan Vučica

-- Croatia --