defoma (was: Re: Debian MIA check)

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:34:02AM -0800, Fielder George Dowding wrote:

 Hi,

> As a result of the lack of action on Mr. Take's part regarding these
> outstanding bug reports, the Defoma package has been listed as
> orphaned (#180188) before the critical bug (#181749) was submitted.
> I am attempting to step up to the plate, and I am experiencing a
> high level of difficulties unravelling the many instructions for
> becominig a maintainer

You might want to start by properly retitling the bug.

However if you're talking about becoming DD: that takes its time it
would certainly be nice to have fixed packages before then. I'd be
willing to sponsor uploads.

> as well as groking the source code (perl with a bash or sh script
> against which bug #181749 has been filed).

IMNSHO defoma is an unmaintainable mess that not only needs to be
rewritten but also redesigned from scratch. But if you really want to
deal with the current code base, your second high priority item beside
the bug mentioned above should be the scalability issues (bugs #143818,
#179099).

It might also be a good idea to set up a project on Alioth, if there's
enough interest.

-Michael