Re: Do not touch l10n files

On Wed, 14 May 2003 19:25:20 +0200, Denis Barbier <barbier@linuxfr.org> said:

> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 02:22:36AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Silly? My, we must have a chip on our choulder. Equally silly as
>> non-maintainers having delusions of control over what gets shipped
>> with a package?

> Where did I say that?  I am only requesting that developers who do
> not speak a given language do not edit their related l10n files, but
> ask first a trusted person fluent in this language if changes are
> needed.

	This is no different from code: if I maintian software, and I
 may not understand all the complexities of the package in question,
 but when I think I discover a problem, I send a notice to the
 upistream (coder, translator), and, if I am not fluenbt in the
 language, I ask someone to help (who may not be the upstream
 code/translator).

	I then add a local patch correcting the issue until the matter
 is resolved upstream.

	This is a far cry from ``Do not touch l10n files''.

	No one expects a maintainer to change code files either if
 they result is incorrect; that is just a bug. But maintainers are not
 admonished to never touch upstream files.

	If ever a translation is included in my packages, I certainly
 am not going to respect such a restriction against modifying files in
 my package.

	manoj
--
My My, hey hey Rock and roll is here to stay The king is gone but he's
not forgotten It's better to burn out This is the story of a Johnny