Re: show all Suggests packages not installed

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 11:05 am, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003 09:36:57 -0700, Keegan Quinn <kquinn@respond2.com> said:
> >> The only solution I think is if dpkg were to take over
> >> responsibility for deleting configuration files, so that the postrm
> >> script doesn't have to worry.
> >
> > I think that in this situation, package a should check if a-beta is
> > installed during its postrm purge, and avoid taking over...  Is
> > there some reason you think this doesn't work?
>
> 	What if I am not aware of a-beta? What if a-beta does not
>  exist when package a was created? What if there are several a-betas,
>  and I miss a few?

One would hope to see more coordination between Debian maintainers of such
similar packages than that.  (In fact, in this example, I would expect a and
a-beta to have the same maintainer, although it would by no means be
necessary.)

However, you are right, there will always be corner cases, and there are
potential synchronicity issues with this approach, involving partial
upgrades; I still think it is better than not trying at all.  Solving this
properly remains a worthy goal.

 - Keegan