Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Jameie Wilkinson wrote:
>This one time, at band camp, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>I only have two directories in /var/ that appear in /. I have somewhat
>>more in /tmp than I do in /var/tmp, and more in /lib than I do in
>>/var/lib. Am I missing your point here?
>
>/bin - boottime version of /usr/bin
>/lib - boottime version of /usr/lib
>/root - (gratuitous, I know) boottime version of /home

The /usr and / distinction is clearly demarked, with / containing things
that would otherwise be in /usr but are required to boot. The /var and /
distinction is entirely different. The primary reason to have /var on a
separate partition is because /var is the most likely filesystem to fill
up under normal usage.

>>Mountall is called early in the boot sequence. I can't see anything in
>>my startup that ought to be storing runtime state that happens before
>>that. A network mounted /var is a special case, not normal booting.
>
>What about a separate partition /var, which is a quite normal case?

When would you need to run something that keeps state before being able
to mount another partition?
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org