Re: (Possible) menu code rewrite

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Joseph Carter wrote:
> Let's see, we have a lot of work to either fix a Debian-specific hack
> which is basically unmaintained and widely agreed to need a complete
> rewrite anyway, or to implement the emerging cross-distribution standard
> used by both of the major desktop environments.  Doing the former means

Where did I say we should not go with the GNOME/KDE desktop format?

What I do know is that the Debian structure with hints working works very
well, and it is fast enough, even if we need the hints better defined.

While the KDE menu I have here is basically a useless thing for me: I can
never find what I want in it.  Probably because there are Debian submenus
instead of just merging the two structures.  This is something that would be
fixed by the new menu system, if it goes with the desktop format, I assume.

And if you are implying that the GNOME/KDE menu structure (not
implementation. I mean what goes where) is good, well, let's just say that
not everyone agrees with you.  IMHO we need to fix the menu structure no
matter what we do to the menu format and machinery.

AND IMHO we should not slow the menu system down any further than it already
is at runtime. This does not preclude using 'standards', but it certainly
means the implementation must be careful.

  Henrique Holschuh