Re: (Possible) menu code rewrite

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 09:30:09AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Supposed to, but it doesn't work.  See the BTS, there's tons of examples
> > of how it totally breaks on an average system to use hints.
>
> Well, time to fix it then, instead of adding yet another feature.  In my
> system hints work without segfaulting, and I find that they clean up the
> menu structure rather nicely.  So they do address the problem, as long as
> we fix whatever causes hints to break in some systems.

Let's see, we have a lot of work to either fix a Debian-specific hack
which is basically unmaintained and widely agreed to need a complete
rewrite anyway, or to implement the emerging cross-distribution standard
used by both of the major desktop environments.  Doing the former means
that the esoteric system we have been using with all of its flaws will
live on.  Doing the latter means we get i18n and UTF-8 support free, at
the cost of having to cooperate with others...

That cooperation thing is scary, I realize, but even Debian is capible of
it now and then - it's not like it would kill us to work toward a standard
rather than trying to do our own thing, especially given that cooperation
here furthers our own goals.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>          You want fries with that?

<Slackware> uh oh, what have I started :)
<Debian> rofl... distro nick wars.
* Slackware just waits for /nick Gnome, /nick KDE, and then world war 4
   to break out
<WinNT> :oP
<OpenBSD> <duck>
<PalmOS> :)
<Slackware> no'one would dare /nick RedHat
<tru64> mew.